Museums & Cultural Arts
At the close of the Civil War, former slaves seeking protection and freedom left the plantations for Union troop encampments. Following the departure of Union soldiers, many of the now-freed slaves remained behind and settled in an area named Freedom Hill. Freedom Hill was incorporated in 1885 in Edgecombe County. The name was changed to Princeville in honor of Turner Prince, an African-American man who had been involved in building many of the community’s homes.